Re: [patch 0/8] mm: memcg naturalization -rc2

From: Johannes Weiner
Date: Thu Jun 09 2011 - 19:32:25 EST

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 03:30:27PM -0700, Ying Han wrote:
> [...]
> >> and I only cut & paste the content relevant to our conversation here:
> >>
> >> What is "soft_limit"?
> >> The "soft_limit was introduced in memcg to support over-committing the
> >> memory resource on the host. Each cgroup can be configured with
> >> "hard_limit", where it will be throttled or OOM killed by going over
> >> the limit. However, the allocation can go above the "soft_limit" as
> >> long as there is no memory contention. The "soft_limit" is the kernel
> >> mechanism for re-distributing spare memory resource among cgroups.
> >>
> >> What we have now?
> >> The current implementation of softlimit is based on per-zone RB tree,
> >> where only the cgroup exceeds the soft_limit the most being selected
> >> for reclaim.
> >>
> >> It makes less sense to only reclaim from one cgroup rather than
> >> reclaiming all cgroups based on calculated propotion. This is required
> >> for fairness.
> >>
> >> Proposed design:
> >> round-robin across the cgroups where they have memory allocated on the
> >> zone and also exceed the softlimit configured.
> >>
> >> there was a question on how to do zone balancing w/o global LRU. This
> >> could be solved by building another cgroup list per-zone, where we
> >> also link cgroups under their soft_limit. We won't scan the list
> >> unless the first list being exhausted and
> >> the free pages is still under the high_wmark.
> >>
> >> Since the per-zone memcg list design is being replaced by your
> >> patchset, some of the details doesn't apply. But the concept still
> >> remains where we would like to scan some memcgs first (above
> >> soft_limit) .
> >
> > I think the most important thing we wanted was to round-robin scan all
> > soft limit excessors instead of just the biggest one.  I understood
> > this is the biggest fault with soft limits right now.
> >
> > We came up with maintaining a list of excessors, rather than a tree,
> > and from this particular implementation followed naturally that this
> > list is scanned BEFORE we look at other memcgs at all.
> >
> > This is a nice to have, but it was never the primary problem with the
> > soft limit implementation, as far as I understood.

> >> My soft_limit patch was developed in parallel with your patchset, and
> >> most of that wouldn't apply here.
> >> Is that what you are referring to?
> >
> > No, I meant that the current behaviour is old and we are only changing
> > it only now, so we are not really breaking backward compatibility.

> >> We had patch merged which add the soft_limit reclaim also in the global ttfp.
> >>
> >> memcg-add-the-soft_limit-reclaim-in-global-direct-reclaim.patch

> >> Hmm. Both cases are true. The best effort pages I referring to means
> >> "the page above the soft_limit are targeted to reclaim first under
> >> memory contention"
> >
> > I really don't know where you are taking this from.  That is neither
> > documented anywhere, nor is it the current behaviour.
>
> I got the email from andrew on may 27 and you were on the cc-ed :)

I wasn't asking about this patch at all... This is the conversation:

Me:

You:

> >> Hmm. Both cases are true. The best effort pages I referring to means
> >> "the page above the soft_limit are targeted to reclaim first under
> >> memory contention"

Me:

> > I really don't know where you are taking this from.  That is neither
> > documented anywhere, nor is it the current behaviour.

And this is still my question.

Current: scan up to all pages of the biggest soft limit offender, then
reclaim from random memcgs (because of the global LRU).

After my patch: scan all memcgs according to their size, with double
the pressure on those over their soft limit.

Please tell me exactly how my patch regresses existing behaviour, a
user interface, a documented feature, etc.

If you have an even better idea, please propose it.