Re: [patch 0/8] mm: memcg naturalization -rc2

From: Ying Han
Date: Thu Jun 09 2011 - 17:38:41 EST

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Johannes Weiner <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 10:36:47AM -0700, Ying Han wrote:

>> > That's not really true.  Quoting the documentation:
>> >
>> >    When the system detects memory contention or low memory, control groups
>> >    are pushed back to their soft limits. If the soft limit of each control
>> >    group is very high, they are pushed back as much as possible to make
>> >    sure that one control group does not starve the others of memory.
>> >
>> > I am language lawyering here, but I don't think it says it won't touch
>> > other memcgs at all while there are memcgs exceeding their soft limit.
>>
>> Well... :) I would say that the documentation of soft_limit needs lots
>> of work especially after lots of discussions we have after the LSF.
>>
>> The RFC i sent after our discussion has the following documentation,
>> and I only cut & paste the content relevant to our conversation here:
>>
>> What is "soft_limit"?
>> The "soft_limit was introduced in memcg to support over-committing the
>> memory resource on the host. Each cgroup can be configured with
>> "hard_limit", where it will be throttled or OOM killed by going over
>> the limit. However, the allocation can go above the "soft_limit" as
>> long as there is no memory contention. The "soft_limit" is the kernel
>> mechanism for re-distributing spare memory resource among cgroups.
>>
>> What we have now?
>> The current implementation of softlimit is based on per-zone RB tree,
>> where only the cgroup exceeds the soft_limit the most being selected
>> for reclaim.
>>
>> It makes less sense to only reclaim from one cgroup rather than
>> reclaiming all cgroups based on calculated propotion. This is required
>> for fairness.
>>
>> Proposed design:
>> round-robin across the cgroups where they have memory allocated on the
>> zone and also exceed the softlimit configured.
>>
>> there was a question on how to do zone balancing w/o global LRU. This
>> could be solved by building another cgroup list per-zone, where we
>> also link cgroups under their soft_limit. We won't scan the list
>> unless the first list being exhausted and
>> the free pages is still under the high_wmark.
>>
>> Since the per-zone memcg list design is being replaced by your
>> patchset, some of the details doesn't apply. But the concept still
>> remains where we would like to scan some memcgs first (above
>> soft_limit) .
>
> I think the most important thing we wanted was to round-robin scan all
> soft limit excessors instead of just the biggest one.  I understood
> this is the biggest fault with soft limits right now.
>
> We came up with maintaining a list of excessors, rather than a tree,
> and from this particular implementation followed naturally that this
> list is scanned BEFORE we look at other memcgs at all.
>
> This is a nice to have, but it was never the primary problem with the
> soft limit implementation, as far as I understood.
>
>> > It would be a lie about the current code in the first place, which
> [...]

One way to think about how the user will set the soft_limit ( in our
case for example) is to set the soft_limit to be the working_set_size
of the cgroup (by doing working set estimation).

The soft_limit will be readjust at run time based on the workload. In
that case, shrinking the memory from B/C has potential performance
impact on the application. While it doesn't mean we can never reclaim
pages from them, but shrinking from A ( usage is 19G above its
soft_limit ) first will provide better predictability of performance.

--Ying