Re: 2.6.39.1 immediately reboots/resets on EFI system

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jun 08 2011 - 17:32:53 EST

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Boot services data includes everything that was allocated by the EFI
> memory allocator. Depending on what the system decided to do before
> deigning to run our code, that might be a meg - or it might be several
> hundred. And in the process it's probably fragmented RAM into god knows
> how many small chunks.

In reality?

Whatever. I really think our EFI support is just fundamnetally broken.
We should do *everything* in the bootloader, and nothing at all in the
kernel. IOW, I think doing the whole "SetVirtualAddrMap()" (or
whatever) in the boot loader too, and just promise to neve rever call
any EFI routines from the kernel.

IOW, a sane EFI boot loader should just make things look like a
regular BIOS, and not bother the kernel with the EFI crap.

EFI was misdesigned. That doesn't mean that _we_ should then
mis-design our support for it.

Linus