Re: [debug patch] printk: Add a printk killswitch to robustify NMIwatchdog messages

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Jun 08 2011 - 15:18:24 EST

* Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I came up with the below hackery, seems to actually boot and such
> on a lockdep enabled kernel (although Ingo did report lockups with
> a partial version of the patch, still need to look at that).
>
> The idea is to use the console_sem.lock instead of the semaphore
> itself, we flush the console when console_sem.count > 0, which
> means its uncontended. Its more or less equivalent to
> down_trylock() + up(), except it never releases the sem internal
> lock, and optimizes the count fiddling away.
>
> It doesn't require a wakeup because any real semaphore contention
> will still be spinning on the spinlock instead of enqueueing itself
> on the waitlist.
>
> Its rather ugly, exposes semaphore internals in places it
> shouldn't, although we could of course expose some primitives for
> this, but then people might thing it'd be okay to use them etc..
>
> /me puts on the asbestos underwear

Hm, the no-wakeup aspect seems rather useful.

Could we perhaps remove console_sem and replace it with a mutex and
do something like this with a mutex and its ->wait_lock?

We'd have two happy side effects:

- we'd thus remove one of the last core kernel semaphore users
- we'd gain lockdep coverage for console locking as a bonus ...

Thanks,

Ingo