Re: [patch 8/8] mm: make per-memcg lru lists exclusive

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Wed Jun 08 2011 - 11:05:04 EST

On Thu 02-06-11 19:57:02, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 12:54:39AM +0900, Hiroyuki Kamezawa wrote:
> > 2011/6/2 Johannes Weiner <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > > On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 10:16:59PM +0900, Hiroyuki Kamezawa wrote:
[...]
> > But it may put a page onto wrong memcgs if we do link a page to
> > another page's page->lru
> > because 2 pages may be in different cgroup each other.
>
> Yes, I noticed that. If it splits a huge page, it does not just add
> the tailpages to the lru head, but it links them next to the head
> page.
>
> But I don't see how those pages could ever be in different memcgs?
> pages with page->mapping pointing to the same anon_vma are always in
> the same memcg, AFAIU.

Process can be moved to other memcg and without move_charge_at_immigrate
all previously faulted pages stay in the original group while all new
(not faulted yet) get into the new group while mapping doesn't change.
I guess this might happen with thp tailpages as well. But I do not think
this is a problem. The original group already got charged for the huge
page so we can keep all tail pages in it.

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs