Re: 2.6.39-rc7 nouveau vs KDE 4.6.2

From: Daniel Hazelton
Date: Sun May 15 2011 - 09:57:13 EST

On Sunday, May 15, 2011 04:21:37 AM Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 11:09:29AM +0300, Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> > On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 02:12:08AM +0300, Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> > > After logging into KDE, I get garbage areas when say mouse moves over
> > > icon in tray, or when window is opened fullscreen to the point it's
> > > unusable.
> > >
> > > Previous version of KDE (4.4.5?) was OK.
> > >

> > > Linux version 2.6.39-rc7 (ad@p183) (gcc version 4.4.5 (Gentoo 4.4.5
> > > p1.2, pie-0.4.5) ) #4 SMP PREEMPT Tue May 10 22:07:32 EEST 2011
> >
> > FYI, 2.6.38.5 is no different.
>
> Disable compositing/"desktop effects" (alt+shift+F12) works except
> switch to fbconsole and back leaves screen black.

(sorry if some of you get this double - I forgot to hit "reply all" when I
first replied...)

I've come across a similar bug with the binary blob driver from nvidia - and
compositing state doesn't matter. The fbconsole switch leaves that system with
an image of the desktop, but said image is non-responsive. In the case of an
application or game that was running in a fullscreen window it will lose some
events and generally get stuck non-working and showing nothing. After seeing
the report of problems with the fbcon switch (I've also seen some artifacting
and/or "garbage" with the binary blob) I'm wondering if there might not be a
hardware bug that nvidia manages to paper-over in the windows version of the
driver that nouveau and the ugly binary-blob are unable to miss in Linux...

DRH