Re: [GIT PULL] fuse fix for 2.6.39

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Thu May 12 2011 - 13:46:52 EST

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 10:21 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Trond Myklebust
> <Trond.Myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > NFS also requires look up using the full 'struct path' if/when we happen
> > upon an automount point (i.e. if we cross into a submounted filesystem
> > on the server or if we encounter an NFSv4 referral). Again, this is
> > something that lookup_one_len() can't do.
>
> Sure. But we might not want to oops. Would you be willing to try
> ecryptfs over NFS to at least make it limp along?
>
> Linus

I was thinking rather of just returning an EIO if people try. We know
that there are breakages w.r.t. certain operations as I pointed out in
my previous email.

I suppose it really boils down to the following:

Is there really a community of people out there relying on being able to
do ecryptfs over NFS today?
If so, what are they using it for, and are they going to care about
those breakages?

Cheers
Trond

--