[GIT PULL] XFS update for 2.6.39

From: Alex Elder
Date: Tue May 10 2011 - 14:48:57 EST

Linus,

I'm very sorry I couldn't provide you these regression fixes before
yesterday. They do address regressions that are pretty important
so I hope you'll consider pulling them for inclusion in 2.6.39.

The first one fixes a problem that can cause reclaim to stall on an
XFS allocation group, which prevents inode cache shrinking from
making progress and ultimately can cause the OOM killer to kick in.

The other four address small but distinct problems that can lead to
filesystem hangs when attempting to grant log space:
- The only real change in the first of these is the "goto out_done"
that causes a block of common code to be used for a case that was
not clearing a flag as it should.
- The second of these fixes an off-by-one condition check problem.
- The third addresses a few problems that can arise due to unsafe
assignment of 64-bit values on 32-bit architectures.
- The last one is the most subtle. Previously a flag bit was
getting cleared conditionally but not atomically. A second
location used test_and_set_bit() to conditionally set the flag.
The flag could get cleared in the one spot just after a successful
test and set in another; the net result basically hung the
affected filesystem. The fix modifies the non-atomic spot to
clear the flag unconditionally, then re-set it using atomic
test-and-set it if appropriate.

Dave Chinner deserves a lot of credit for sorting through
these--especially the intersecting causes of the common "filesystem
hang" symptom that the last four address.

Thanks a lot.

-Alex

The following changes since commit 693d92a1bbc9e42681c42ed190bd42b636ca876f:

Linux 2.6.39-rc7 (2011-05-09 19:33:54 -0700)

are available in the git repository at:
git://oss.sgi.com/xfs/xfs for-linus

Dave Chinner (5):
xfs: ensure reclaim cursor is reset correctly at end of AG
xfs: exit AIL push work correctly when AIL is empty
xfs: always push the AIL to the target
xfs: make AIL target updates and compares 32bit safe.
xfs: fix race condition in AIL push trigger

fs/xfs/linux-2.6/xfs_sync.c | 1 +