Re: Fix powerTOP regression with 2.6.39-rc5

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue May 10 2011 - 03:55:24 EST

* Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I think its rather obvious how the unification should be done: check
> > tip:tmp.perf/trace for the 'trace' command that does tracing.
>
> I'll tell you what. I've been talking with other developers and one thing we
> came up with that we all seem to agree with is that ftrace is designed to
> trace the entire system, and it does it very well. Perf is designed to trace
> individual tasks, and it does it very well (trace is an example of this. It's
> focus is on tasks not the system). Ftrace can also trace individual tasks and
> perf can also trace the entire system, but they both do those poorly.

Not sure where you picked that up but it's 100% nonsense and you could not be
more wrong.

The reason why you see most instrumentation users use per task tracing and
profiling is very simple: they *can* do it and local views are what most
developer are interested in!

Otherwise perf has been designed to do system-wide (global) tracing pretty much
from day one on. In fact one of the first applications of perf: kerneltop, the
tool that evolved into 'perf top' has a system-wide view and never had any
other default but system-wide tracing+profiling ...

'perf top' is what many kernel developers use and it's very popular because the
kernel itself is 'system-wide' so obviously kernel developers want to have (and
need to have) a system-wide view.

ftrace uses system-wide tracing because that's pretty much the only model it
has. That is one of its many design mistakes, not a feature.

But the world is a lot more than just kernel focused workflows and perf
supports various other popular views:

- per task
- per task hierarchy (tree spanning fork()/exec()/clone() trees of tasks)
- per cgroup
- system-wide

And you want to keep ftrace a forked identity on the weird notion that somehow
perf can not do system-wide event collection and that somehow fundamentally
instrumentation can not serve these goals of event grouping?

Steve, your opinion is, sadly, very narrow.

Thanks,

Ingo