Re: [patch v3 2/3] block: hold queue if flush is running fornon-queueable flush drive

From: Vivek Goyal
Date: Mon May 09 2011 - 09:03:56 EST

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 10:38:53AM +0200, Tejun Heo wrote:

[..]
> Similarly, I'd like to suggest something like the following.
>
> /*
> * Hold dispatching of regular requests if non-queueable
> * flush is in progress; otherwise, the low level driver
> * would keep dispatching IO requests just to requeue them
> * until the flush finishes, which not only adds
> * dispatching / requeueing overhead but may also
> * significantly affect throughput when multiple flushes
> * are issued back-to-back. Please consider the following
> * scenario.
> *
> * - flush1 is dispatched with write1 in the elevator.
> *
> * - Driver dispatches write1 and requeues it.
> *
> * - flush2 is issued and appended to dispatch queue after
> * the requeued write1. As write1 has been requeued
> * flush2 can't be put in front of it.
> *
> * - When flush1 finishes, the driver has to process write1
> * before flush2 even though there's no fundamental
> * reason flush2 can't be processed first and, when two
> * flushes are issued back-to-back without intervening
> * writes, the second one essentially becomes noop.
> *
> * This phenomena becomes quite visible under heavy
> * concurrent fsync workload and holding the queue while
> * flush is in progress leads to significant throughput
> * gain.
> */

Tejun,

I am assuming that these back-to-back flushes are independent of each
other otherwise write request will anyway get between two flushes.

If that's the case, then should we solve the problem by improving flush
merge logic a bit better. (Say idle a bit before issuing a flush only
if request queue is not empty).

That way multiple back to back flushes can be merged without taking a hit on
throughput and we can avoid this special casing whether driver can queue the
flush or not.

Thanks
Vivek