RE: sata_mv port lockup on hotplug (kernel 2.6.38.2)

From: Mikael Abrahamsson
Date: Thu Apr 14 2011 - 23:24:01 EST

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Bruce Stenning wrote:

The 2.6.38.2 kernel still exhibits the same lockups that we see with the 2.6.26 kernel.

Hi.

I have some input on this. I have one of these controllers and had problems with one channel where if I had a drive in that hotswap bay, the controller wouldn't even POST at boot. It just stuck in the detection phase in the controller BIOS.

When I tested hotplugging into that bay when the system was running, I received a kernel warning (it's not powered on at the moment so I can't provide the output, if it's important I can get it).

My point is that there might be a problem with this controller hw or firmware that doesn't handle all behaviour/situations properly. I re-seated the SATA cable at both ends and after that couldn't reproduce the problem (which was reproduced with two different make harddrives several times before re-seating the cable).

This was with the 2.6.32 debian stable kernel, AMD64 version.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx