Re: kmemleak for MIPS

From: Maxin John
Date: Tue Mar 29 2011 - 08:27:12 EST

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Catalin Marinas
<catalin.marinas@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 12:38 +0100, Maxin John wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> > You may want to disable the kmemleak testing to reduce the amount of
>> > leaks reported.
>>
>> The kmemleak results in MIPS that I have included in the previous mail
>> were obtained during the booting of the malta kernel.
>> Later, I have checked the "real" usage by using the default
>> "kmemleak_test" module.
>>
>> Following output shows the kmemleak results when I used the "kmemleak_test.ko"
>
> Yes, that's fine to test kmemleak and show that it reports issues on
> MIPS. But it shouldn't report other leaks if the test module isn't
> loaded at all (removing it wouldn't remove the leaks reported as they
> are permanent).

Thank a lot for this information. Based on this, I will check it
again in the MIPS platform.

>> debian-mips:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/kmemleak
>
> These were caused by the kmemleak test.

Oh.. I am sorry for creating confusion. I have added these lines (
........) just to show that I haven't shared the
complete output in order to reduce the length of the mail.

>> > These are probably false positives.
>> The previous results could be false positives. However, the current
>> results are not false positives as we have intentionally created the
>> memory leaks using the test module.
>
> I was only referring to those leaks coming from udp.c and ignored the
> kmemleak tests (that's why I said that you should run it again without
> the kmemleak_test.ko).
>> > Since the pointer referring this
>> > block (udp_table) is __read_mostly, is it possible that the
>> > corresponding section gets placed outside the _sdata.._edata range?
>>
>> I am not sure about this. Please  let know how can I check this.
>
> Boot the kernel with kmemleak enabled but don't load kmemleak_test.ko.
> Than you can either wait 10-15 minutes or force a scan with:
>
> echo scan > /sys/kernel/debug/kmemleak
> echo scan > /sys/kernel/debug/kmemleak
> cat /sys/kernel/debug/kmemleak.

Thanks a lot for sharing the detailed steps.I will perform the test as
mentioned above and will share the results.

Thanks and Regards,
Maxin B. John