Re: [GIT] Networking

From: Ben Hutchings
Date: Fri Mar 11 2011 - 16:18:03 EST

On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 13:01 -0800, David Miller wrote:
> From: "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 15:48:23 -0500
>
> > As with the above, it'd make the history a little more self-documenting.
>
> Once there is even one single commit after the buggy one, this is
> simply impossible since the hashes of subsequent commits depend upon
> the precise contents of the original one.

I think Bruce is suggesting that the fix is committed on a branch from
the broken commit, then merged into whatever branches need it. I'm not
sure how much that helps, though. The merge could then involve forward-
porting (as opposed to the current situation where fixes are cherry-
picked and possibly back-ported).

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.