Re: MD-raid broken in 2.6.37.3?

From: NeilBrown
Date: Wed Mar 09 2011 - 05:03:09 EST

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 10:06:22 +0100 Johan Hovold <jhovold@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Greg and Neil,
>
> I updated from 2.6.37.2 to 2.6.37.3 yesterday only to find that my
> raid-0 partitions are no longer recognised. The raid-1 ones still are,
> though. They did not show up after a reboot. (It has happened once
> fairly recently that these exact partitions were not recognised but a
> reboot fixed it -- blamed my disks.)
>
> Today I mistakenly booted into 2.6.37.3 again -- still missing. No
> problems with 2.6.37.2.
>
> Browsing the changelog I found f663ed60892c3e1d4490b079a45d9e546271c40c
> (md: Fix - again - partition detection when array becomes active) and
> other md-related changes so I figure one of these could perhaps be to
> blame?
>
> As it is my personal/production machine I feel uncomfortable bisecting
> this at this point, but maybe Neil has an idea of what might be going
> on?

Hi Johan,

could you please be a bit more specific about the problem that you
experienced.
What, exactly, was "no longer recognised"?

Was it that the array (e.g. /dev/md1) didn't appear, or was it that the
array did appear, but that it has a partition table, and the partitions
(e.g. /dev/md1p1, /dev/md1p2) did not appear?

If you still have the boot-log from when you booted 2.6.37.3 (or can
recreated) and can get a similar log for 2.6.37.2, then it might be useful to
compare them.

Thanks,
NeilBrown