Re: [RFC] Proposal for ptrace improvements

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Mar 04 2011 - 14:24:31 EST

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Denys Vlasenko
<vda.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> That should get the whole "user_regs_struct" in one single system call.
>
> Aye. That's the idea: get more info in one go.

My point is that it's totally idiotic to start talking about new
kernel interfaces, when strace doesn't even use the ones we HAVE, and
have had for a long time.

So the strace use is clearly not a valid reason to start worrying
about new interfaces. It doesn't even care about all the improvements
we've done several years ago.

Linus