Re: regression - 2.6.36 -> 2.6.37 - kvm - 32bit SMP guests don'tboot

From: Glauber Costa
Date: Fri Mar 04 2011 - 14:09:38 EST

On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 19:27 +0100, Nikola Ciprich wrote:
> Hello Zachary,
>
> > You don't see any messages about TSC being unstable or switching
> > clocksource after loading the KVM module? And you are not suspending
> > the host or anything?
> no messages, no suspending, nothing.
>

> > Can you try using "processor.max_cstate=1" on the host as a kernel
> > parameter and see if it makes a difference?
> I tried it, no change..
> n.

Zach,

I don't understand 100 % the logic behind all your tsc changes.
But kvm-clock-wise, most of the problems we had in the past were related
to the difference in resolution between the tsc and the host clocksource
(hpet, acpi_pm, etc), which in his case, it is a non-issue.

It does seem to me like some compensation logic kicked in, dismantling
an otherwise good tsc. He does have nonstop_tsc, which means it can't
get any better.

One thing I noticed when reading the culprit patch in bisect, is that in
vcpu_load(), there were previously a call to

kvm_request_guest_time_update(vcpu)

that was removed without a counterpart addition. Any idea about why it
was done?

Nikola, does adding that line back alleviate the problem for you ?