Re: [REVIEW] NVM Express driver

From: el es
Date: Fri Mar 04 2011 - 04:02:53 EST

Andy Lutomirski <luto <at> MIT.EDU> writes:

> > I didn't even realize we had a firmware README file...
> >
> > Anyway, just use request_firmware_nowait(), you will be fine.
> >

> Unless I'm misunderstanding the spec, this is for *nonvolatile* firmware
> updates. So if I have two of these devices and I stick a firmware file
> into /lib/firmware, should it update both devices?
>
> Shouldn't reflashing the device firmware be something that the users
> asks for by something a little more specific than just creating a file?
> (In any case, creating /lib/firmware/nvmhci-3 to flash slot 3 seems
> rather silly.)

_lame user warning on_

if module is built-in, maybe something like /sys/class/nvm/driveX/fw_path could
receive the _path_ to firmware, so that writing to it (either/or writing to
hypothetical /sys/class/nvm/driveX/fw_do_update) would trigger the flashing
procedure, and reading it would provide _human readable_ flashing progress
information ?

If module is complied, well, as a module, could be invoked with the fw_path
parameter and the fw_do_update parameter as the safety flag.

With appropriate safety measures, like making sure drive is unmounted, queue is
empty and so on, ensured in userspace?

> --Andy

el es