Re: mmotm 2011-03-02 - ACPI/sysfs WARNING with NVidia graphics card

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 23:29:48 EST

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 16:05:50 PST, Greg KH said:

> > [ 0.818236] [Firmware Bug]: Duplicate ACPI video bus devices for the same VGA controller, please try module parameter "video.allow_duplicates=1"if the current driver doesn't work.
>
> Have you tried this option?
>
> There's nothing sysfs can do here, sorry, it really looks like you have
> a BIOS/firmware problem.

Well, (a) it's been saying "try it if the current driver doesn't work" - and
things have worked just fine all along (or more properly, if it's broken in
behavior, I haven't actually seen the effects...)

and (b) Something changed very recently to add the WARNING, which wasn't there
in rc5-next-2011022.

And (c) I doubt that's going to fix the WARNING, because looking at drivers/
acpi/video.c, the variable allow_duplicates is checked in exactly *ONE* place,
which is *after* the printk:

if (status == AE_ALREADY_EXISTS) {
printk(KERN_WARNING FW_BUG
"Duplicate ACPI video bus devices for the"
" same VGA controller, please try module "
"parameter \"video.allow_duplicates=1\""
"if the current driver doesn't work.\n");
if (!allow_duplicates)
return -ENODEV;
}

So since the warning triggers before we see the printk(), setting the variable
won't make a difference because we warn before we ever get into that if
statement.

Now, maybe we need to be checking allow_duplicates earlier and/or in other
places - but I'll let somebody who actually understands the code to decide taht. ;)