Re: [RFC 12/12] iscsi-target: Add Makefile/Kconfig and update TCMtop level

From: Nicholas A. Bellinger
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 16:05:17 EST

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 09:19 -0500, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 01:32:11PM -0800, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> > The kernel code itself that is specific to using the SSE v4.2
> > instruction for CRC32C offload are using #ifdef CONFIG_X86 stubs in
> > iscsi_target_login.c:iscsi_login_setup_crypto(), and !CONFIG_X86 will
> > default to using the unoptimized 1x8 slicing soft CRC32C code. This
> > particular piece of logic has been tested on powerpc and arm and is
> > funcitoning as expected from the kernel level using the arch independent
> > soft code.
>
> I don't think you need that code at all. The crypto code is structured
> to prefer the optimized implementation if it is present. Just stripping
> the x86-specific code out and always requesting the plain crc32c
> algorithm should give you the optimized one if it is present on your
> system.
>
> Please give it a try.

This is what I originally thought as well, but this ended up not being
the case when the logic was originally coded up. I just tried again
with .38-rc7 on a 5500 series machine and simply stubbing out the
CONFIG_X86 part from iscsi_login_setup_crypto() and calling:

crypto_alloc_hash("crc32c", 0, CRYPTO_ALG_ASYNC)

does not automatically load and use crc32c_intel.ko when only requesting
plain crc32c.

The reason for the extra crypto_alloc_hash("crc32c-intel", ...) call in
iscsi_login_setup_crypto() is to load crc32c_intel.ko on-demand for
cpu_has_xmm4_2 capable machines.

I should mention this is with the following .config:

CONFIG_CRYPTO_CRC32C=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CRC32C_INTEL=m

This would seem to indicate that CRC32C_INTEL needs to be compiled in
(or at least manually loaded) for libcypto to use the optimized
instructions when the plain crc32c is called, correct..?

--nab