Re: RFC: x86: kill binutils 2.16.x?

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 03:30:50 EST

* H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 03/02/2011 01:17 PM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

> >> 2005-2006.
> >
> > Time enough even for enterprise folks to sort that out. Please kill it
> > ASAP.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> kbuild people: is there a way to test for a specific assembler version
> in Kbuild (and error out the build for it?)

Could we add a testcase for one of the more egregious breakages and bail out then?
That way we don't have to get the version information right - broken prereleases
would be covered as well.

For example this sequence:

.irp idx,0,1,2
.if 0 > \idx
.endif
.endr

Will break on 2.16, right? It builds fine on 2.20.

This is how specific GAS functionality is tested in arch/powerpc:

@if ! /bin/echo dssall | $(AS) -many -o $(TOUT) >/dev/null 2>&1 ; then \
echo -n '*** ${VERSION}.${PATCHLEVEL} kernels no longer build ' ; \
echo 'correctly with old versions of binutils.' ; \
echo '*** Please upgrade your binutils to 2.12.1 or newer' ; \
false ; \
fi

This would also be a 'constructive' (and safest) way of blacklisting binutils: we'd
really only exclude binutils that is truly buggy.

Thanks,

Ingo