Re: regression - 2.6.36 -> 2.6.37 - kvm - 32bit SMP guests don'tboot

From: Nikola Ciprich
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 02:09:03 EST

> No worries. What mess?
twice sending the same mail, nevermind :)

> I have two things you can try:
>
> first is running a single VCPU guest, if you have not done so already.
yup, UP guest is fine, just SMP doesn't work.

> Second is adding the bootparameter "clocksource=acpi_pm" to your guest
> kernel.
yes, this makes SMP work too! I just realized when You were asking about current
clocksource, I told You only host source, not the guest. So I checked now,
and (at least for UP, I guess for SMP it's the same), the clocksource is
kvm-clock! So seems like it got broken with the TSC changes?

> If either of those fixes the problem, it very well have to do with this
> change and not that you may be missing later dependent patches. This
> change should be nearly a 1-1 transformation, and if it is not,
> something is wrong.
>
> What branch are you bisecting on, the kvm branch or the kernel tree
> itself? It would be helpful to see the exact code in case any
> surrouding logic changed.
I was bisecting linus' linux-2.6.git main branch, between 2.6.36..2.6.37

> Thanks,
>
> Zach
> --

Ing. Nikola CIPRICH