Re: [RFC] st_nlink after rmdir() and rename()

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 00:17:40 EST

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Surprisingly, the results are *NOT* identical wrt fstat(); for most of
> the filesystems we will get 0 in both cases (as expected), but some will
> leave 1 in buf2.st_nlink.

Why do we care? Some filesystems don't support i_nlink at all, so it's
always 1. Others won't do the real delete until later (nfs
sillyrename), so returning 0 would be wrong and insane.

So the fact is, expecting 0,0 seems to be an incorrect expectation,
and I don't understand why you would really care. Does it matter?

Linus