Re: [RFC] Reverting NUMA-affine page table allocation

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Wed Mar 02 2011 - 11:19:12 EST

Hey, Yinghai.

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 02:41:55PM -0800, Yinghai Lu wrote:
> > 2. find_early_table_space() always calculates the amount of the needed
> >   space from 0 to the specified @end.  As nodes are registered, each
> >   node would try to allocate accumulative amount of space for page
> >   table.  This probably wouldn't cause any actual problem (may affect
> >   emulated configurations a bit tho).
>
> interesting.

Yeah, it's a pretty interesting piece of code in need of some cleanup.

I'm reverting the NUMA-affine page table allocation for now. I wish
something like the following happens during the next devel cycle.

* General cleanup of page table allocation code. I'm not talking
about major rewrite or anything major. Just making the code sane(r)
so that they take parameters instead of doing subtle stuff with
internal #ifdef's. And hopefully proper documentation.

* Redo the NUMA-affine page table allocation in simpler way using
cleaned up allocation functions. As suggested before, IMO, just
taking top and bottom of nodes is enough. Again, hopefully, with
enough documentation on both what and why.

If you're interested in doing the above, please go ahead and let me
know.

Thank you.

--
tejun