Re: [linux-pm] [RFC, PATCHv3 3/3] mmc: sdhci: handle wake-up from runtime_pm

From: Pierre Tardy
Date: Tue Mar 01 2011 - 15:48:42 EST

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 9:27 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Instead of disabling the IRQ, would it be possible to tell the device
>> > to stop generating an interrupt request?
>>
>> Well, the device is power gated, so any access to it will cause a bus
>> timeout (depending of the platform)
>
> But could you gate the power back on and then turn off the interrupt
> request?
That's the role of runtime_resume... On some platform, this may need
up to sending some SPI commands to the PMIC, to get those power rails
back on.
Something that you cannot do in interrupt context.

> It seems like a foolish design to have an interrupt request that can't
> be turned off by an interrupt handler.
It's what we have for now ( looks like I need to go back to my system
architects to see if we can change that...)

Alan,
thanks for all this feedback. I have now a much more clear view on how
this is working on ACPI, I'll try to see how we can mimic this
behaviour on intel_mid.