Re: txqueuelen has wrong units; should be time

From: Mikael Abrahamsson
Date: Sun Feb 27 2011 - 02:09:08 EST

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011, Albert Cahalan wrote:

Nanoseconds seems fine; it's unlikely you'd ever want
more than 4.2 seconds (32-bit unsigned) of queue.

I think this is shortsighted and I'm sure someone will come up with a case where 4.2 seconds isn't enough. Let's not build in those kinds of limitations from start.

Why not make it 64bit and go to picoseconds from start?

If you need to make it 32bit unsigned, I'd suggest to start from microseconds instead. It's less likely someone would want less than a microsecond of queue, than someone wanting more than 4.2 seconds of queue.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx