Re: [RFC] block integrity: Fix write after checksum calculationproblem

From: Joel Becker
Date: Wed Feb 23 2011 - 16:42:38 EST

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 03:35:11PM -0500, Chris Mason wrote:
> > ocfs2 handles stable metadata for its checksums when feeding
> > things to the journal. If we're doing pagecache-based I/O, is the
> > pagecache going to help here for data?
>
> Data is much easier than metadata. All you really need is to wait on
> writeback in file_write, wait on writeback in page_mkwrite, and make
> sure you don't free blocks back to the allocator that are actively under
> IO.
>
> I expect the hard part to be jbd and metadata in ext34.

Yeah, catching use-without-access is not trivial. I keep
thinking we've found them all, and then another bug crops up ;-) At
least our checksums catch it.

Joel

--

"The doctrine of human equality reposes on this: that there is no
man really clever who has not found that he is stupid."

http://www.jlbec.org/
jlbec@xxxxxxxxxxxx