Re: [Alsa-user] new source of MIDI playback slow-down identified- 5a03b051ed87e72b959f32a86054e1142ac4cf55 thp: use compaction in kswapdfor GFP_ATOMIC order > 0

From: Arthur Marsh
Date: Tue Feb 22 2011 - 12:47:59 EST

Andrea Arcangeli wrote, on 23/02/11 02:45:
On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 02:40:47PM +0100, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
spin_lock_irq(&zone->lru_lock);
for (; low_pfn< end_pfn; low_pfn++) {
struct page *page;
+
+ cond_resched();
+

my bad, see the above spin_lock_irq oops...

I attached two replacement patches to apply in order (both of them
should be applied at the same time on top of git upstream, and they
shouldn't lockup this time).

OK, these patches applied together against upstream didn't cause a crash but I did observe:

significant slowdowns of MIDI playback (moreso than in previous cases, and with less than 20 Meg of swap file in use);

kswapd0 sharing equal top place in CPU usage at times (e.g. 20 percent).

If I should try only one of the patches or something else entirely, please let me know.

Regards,

Arthur.