Re: e1000e EEPROM corruption

From: Maciej KotliÅski
Date: Tue Feb 22 2011 - 09:46:21 EST

Hi,

The thread on the list is quite old, but I think I have the same problem problem on
Toshiba Tecra M5 laptop with 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller runling Linux 2.6.38-rc5.
I can see this:
e1000e 0000:02:00.0: (unregistered net_device): The NVM Checksum Is Not Valid
when I try to load e1000e module.
Ethernet controller is visible in lspci output.

I had such problem few times earlier but it used to disappear after few hours.
Now the network card don't like to work from two days.

When I try to remove NVM check from the driver code the driver says:
(unregistered net_device): Invalid MAC Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00
So I assume that there are zeros in EPROM of my network adapter.
I can not use ethtool to read or write EPROM of my card because there is no eth0 device.
I have access to the same laptop, so I can get correct EPROM contents.
Still I don't know how to put this to my card.

Could you tell me how to reprogram my card?

Regards,

Maciek