Re: merge of m68knommu and m68k arch branches?

From: Greg Ungerer
Date: Mon Feb 21 2011 - 21:06:27 EST

Hi Thomas,

On 22/02/11 07:18, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
On Fri, 18 Feb 2011, Greg Ungerer wrote:
Inside of the new arch/m68k is a little messy in the kernel and mm
directories. There is plenty of scope for cleanup and merge on the
files in here - but I want to leave that for follow up patches after
this initial directory merge. As a data point, when we merged the
m68k and m68knommu include files we had something like 70 or 80
duplicate but separate files, after some cleanups that is now down to
10. Ongoing cleanup will merge some of these remaining ones as well.

Thoughts?

Hmm, how are you going to deal with the fact, that m68knommu uses
genirq, m68k not? I guess there are some more points like this
(clockevents, clocksource ...)

Initially it has no impact. This first step pretty much just
combines the 2 directories, it doesn't attempt to do a fine
grained merge of each file. (It does factor out identical
files - quite a few in arch/m68k/lib for example).

Is there a plan to move m68k to the generic facilities as well ?

I'll look at doing what I can as I work through merging all the
underlying pieces :-)

Regards
Greg