[BUG ?] checkpatch.pl rejects as error something I think it oughtto be allow

From: Corey Ashford
Date: Mon Feb 21 2011 - 18:28:22 EST

Hi,

I have a piece of code where I have two constants defined as follows:

static const unsigned long polling_interval_sec = 1;
static const unsigned long polling_interval_ns = 0;

Now, it's clear to me that I want these two values to have the keywords const and static. I could use a #define here, but const static seemed cleaner to me.

When I run checkpatch.pl across this code, I get this error:

ERROR: do not initialise statics to 0 or NULL.

I think the problem here is that another case is needed for "static const" that does allow 0.

What do you think?

Thanks for your consideration,

- Corey