Should asus-wmi provide a way to switch displays, and whyvideo_output class is unused

From: Corentin Chary
Date: Tue Feb 15 2011 - 01:53:51 EST

Hi,
In the ongoing effort to split eeepc-wmi, and add support for Asus WMI
capable notebooks, I found that some of them are able to control
dispay output.
Currently, asus-laptop, asus_acpi and eeepc-laptop are also all able
to do that, and they use a simple sysfs file with a bitmask to do
that.

Now, I was searching the right, generic way to do that, and I found
video_output class. The issue is that nobody, even acpi/video.ko, use
it.

So, what's the right way to do that ?

Note, that in my case, I can't know what output are available, so
anyway, using video_output would be a little tricky. But still, I'm
not really comfortable adding another cryptic sysfs file, even with
proper documentation in Docuementation/ABI/.

Thanks,
--
Corentin Chary
http://xf.iksaif.net