Re: mmap, the language go, problems with the linux kernel

From: Martin Capitanio
Date: Wed Feb 09 2011 - 11:30:41 EST

On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 08:23 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 4:37 AM, martin capitanio <m@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > There popped up a serious problem by implementing a fast memory
> > management for the language go. Maybe some experienced kernel hacker
> > could join the discussion and help to find the best linux solution for
> > the "mmap fiasco" problem.
> >
> > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/golang-dev/EpUlHQXWykg/LN2o9fV6R3wJ

> And quite frankly, I think your "use a big array" in go is a mistake.
> You may think it's clever and simple, and that "hey, the OS won't
> allocate pages we don't touch", but it's still a serious mistake. And
> it's not a mistake because of RLIMIT_AS - that's just a secondary or
> tertiary symptom of you being lazy and not doing the right thing.

So, I hope I managed now to put all the involved on the cc list. Here
are the relevant responses I've got from the other ml. I think
there is still a confusion what the mmap syscall actually should
do in the case of PROT_NONE (Data cannot be accessed)
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/mmap.html

Thanks for posting the LKML response.