USB HID plug and play, hardware developer frustration

From: Robin Theunis
Date: Sat Jan 29 2011 - 03:15:31 EST

Hi Devs,

Currently I am design a USB product, and in that process I also look
if almost every OS supports my device.
The device is just only a HID digitizer or touch tablet thingy. It
reports it self also as HID device. This is to have it
work PLUG and PLAY. But I gotten a cold shower when trying this on my
linux pcs. It doesn't work!
I did some investigation and found that the linux (kernel) only
support mouses and keyboard, all the other usage pages
that are included in the USB HID specs aren't implemented.
http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/Hut1_11.pdf

Is there a reason why they aren't implemented? especially the
digitizer thingies because of all the new tablets? Is it difficult
to make a driver to support my device? I have seen that there are a
lot of wacom drivers, I think doing all the same thing.

Thanks a lot,

Robin Theunis