Re: acpi_button: random oops on boot

From: Tobias Karnat
Date: Mon Jan 24 2011 - 13:13:20 EST

Am Montag, den 24.01.2011, 14:03 +0100 schrieb Thomas Renninger:
> Aren't there some memory corruption checkers which can
> additionally be enabled?
>
> CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB
> Say Y here to have the kernel do limited verification on memory
> allocation as well as poisoning memory on free to catch use of freed
> memory. This can make kmalloc/kfree-intensive workloads much slower.
>
> CONFIG_DEBUG_VM
> Enable this to turn on extended checks in the virtual-memory system
> that may impact performance.
>
> CONFIG_DEBUG_LIST
> Enable this to turn on extended checks in the linked-list
> walking routines.
>
> CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC
> Unmap pages from the kernel linear mapping after free_pages().
> This results in a large slowdown, but helps to find certain types
> of memory corruption.
>
> Did I oversee one?
>
> Not sure which is best, it should not hurt to turn on all
> (if possible) for a test.
>
> Thomas

I would like to help, but I don't have another pc here, which I could
connect over serial. And when it crashes on boot, there is never a call
trace to see.

I hope Rich is still interested in a solution as I am. The bad thing is
that the latest working version I had been running on that machine was
ancient 2.6.23. So this problem is a regression, which I would have
noticed earlier, if I had updated that machine more often.

It is not an hardware problem, I have edac enabled and I don't see any
errors. The only strange thing I get related to memory is an mtrr entry
of 64GB (I only have 6GB).

-Tobias