Re: 2.6.36/2.6.37: broken compatibility with userspace input-utils ?

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Mon Jan 24 2011 - 12:55:13 EST

Hi Mark,

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 12:03:47PM -0500, Mark Lord wrote:
> As of the 2.6.36 kernel, the userspace commands lsinput and input-kbd
> no longer work. And if I grab newer/patched versions of those from the latest
> Ubuntu 10.10, then those newer/patched versions do not work with kernels
> *before* 2.6.36.
>
> At first glance, this looks like a visible regression.
> Is there a version of input-utils that works with both
> old and new kernels ?

The event protocol number was updated to reflect support of large
scancodes, unfortunately some of the utilities expected exact version
and refuse to work with updated one. Ubuntu's fix was simply recompile
the code using the new define, this make it work on newer kernels but of
course broke the old ones...

--
Dmitry