CPU Initiated DMA

From: Nikolaus Rath
Date: Fri Jan 07 2011 - 16:15:14 EST

Hello,

I want to write a driver for a rather dumb PCI card, which cannot become
bus master itself. Is it possible to use a DMA controller on the
mainboard to still transfer data to the card without occupying the CPU?

(I believe this is the way DMA used to work on ISA cards, but do recent
x86 systems still have a DMA controller for the CPU?)

Any pointers are greatly appreciated. I looked into "Linux Device
Drivers", but the DMA chapter seems to be only about the device becoming
busmaster.

Best,

-Nikolaus

--
ÂTime flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a Banana.Â

PGP fingerprint: 5B93 61F8 4EA2 E279 ABF6 02CF A9AD B7F8 AE4E 425C