Re: 2.6.37 vlans on bnx2 not functional, panic with tcpdump

From: selsinork
Date: Fri Jan 07 2011 - 04:03:48 EST

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Michael Chan <mchan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> May be you have management firmware running on your devices that can
> change the behavior. Can you provide ethtool -i eth0 on both bnx2
> devices on your system?

This particular system has four onboard ports, a two port add-in card
and a single port fiber card all using bnx2, so I have some options to
try different devices if there's something different about them.
Details of all of them below.

Booting the same system back to 2.6.36 with the patch I mentioned
previously leaves me with a functioning network, so given it could be
management firmware related, why does it work on .36 but not .37 ?
The install is very stripped down, there's no udev or /sbin/hotplug
is whatever comes with the kernel. Just having had a look, I see the
firmware provided with the kernel has changed in .37, but the output
of ethtool -i shows the same firmware being used with .36 and .37

Iain

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)
02:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)
03:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)
04:00.0 RAID bus controller: Hewlett-Packard Company Smart Array G6
controllers (rev 01)
07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)
07:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)
0a:00.0 PCI bridge: Broadcom EPB PCI-Express to PCI-X Bridge (rev c3)
0b:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II
BCM5708S Gigabit Ethernet (rev 12)

from 2.6.37:

root@64bit:~# ethtool -i eth0
driver: bnx2