Re: Crypto Update for 2.6.38

From: Herbert Xu
Date: Thu Jan 06 2011 - 16:39:44 EST

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 01:23:19PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Explanations of interface. Code. Who uses it? What are the actual
> performance benefits on real code?

You snipped out the bit in my reply where I expanded on it:

: Right. This purpose of this interface is to access the async
: hardware crypto drivers that we have added over the past years.
:
: For a modern x86-64 CPU it isn't interesting at all. It's mainly
: for other architectures where the CPU may not be able to keep up
: with say 10Gb/s IPsec traffic and the encryption and/or hashing
: must be offloaded.
:
: This is also why only hash and skcipher are supported as they
: are the main algorithm types supported by teh current async
: drivers in the kernel.

The interface is meant to be used by those whose CPU either cannot
provide adequate performance for encryption/hashing, or where they
need to preverse the CPU power for other tasks. This is most
likely to be used on a non-x86 architecture, as most of our async
crypto drivers are for non-x86 architectures.

Users can be anything performing bulk encryptiong/hashing in user-
space, e.g., SSL (although there are plans to implement SSL in
the kernel as well), SSH, etc.

Here is the original cover email for the patches: