Re: [RFC v2 0/10] hid-multitouch: a first step towards multitouch unification

From: Benjamin Tissoires
Date: Thu Jan 06 2011 - 10:08:49 EST

Hi Henrik,

thanks for the future review ;)

Well, patches n° 3,4,5,6 and 7 are only those sent by Stéphane and
reviewed by you 3 months ago with small changes:
- I took into account most of your comments
- I inserted suspend/resume support
- I implemented a way to find out the end of a mt report.

Patch 1 (hid: add feature_mapping callback) is new but not very
dangerous I think: it only adds a hook. Thanks to it, I could retrieve
the magic number which is device-specific.

Patch 2 (hid: set HID_MAX_FIELD at 128) may need further discussions
(but is required to use Stantum panels)

the last patches only introduce support for 3 devices, 1 of them is
new for the kernel.

The point is that currently we have users that want to have a proper
support for their device (PixCir, Cypress TrueTouch and GeneralTouch),
and it's a shame to ask them to wait for 3 more months.

Maybe a solution would be to make what we can here during this merge
window to add support for at least the new devices. Then, in 2.6.39
and above, we could still migrate other devices, and eventually modify
some lines in the code.

Jiri, Dmitry, what do you think?

Cheers,
Benjamin