Re: 2.6.37-next - kernel BUG at fs/dcache.c:1363

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Jan 06 2011 - 05:44:09 EST

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 4:15 AM, <Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Saw this crash on a linux-next pulled yesterday at 2PM EST, kernel dies very
> early (looks like first time it touches configfs for anything - trying to boot
> with netconsole enabled caused it to die even faster).  I can bisect this if
> it doesn't immediately ring a bell...

Thanks, bah configfs isn't widely used.

> It dies here:
>
> void d_set_d_op(struct dentry *dentry, const struct dentry_operations *op)
> {
>        BUG_ON(dentry->d_op);
>
> Am guessing configfs passed in a dentry that wasn't filled in enough.
>
> (hand-transcribed from a crappy cellphone pic)
>
> kernel BUG at fs/dcache.c:1363

Thanks. It actually passed in a dentry that appears to have already been
used for something. This is not exactly a nice thing for a filesystem to do
and probably indicates an underlying bug anyway (or at least something
the vfs doesn't guarantee the safety of).

Taking a look now.

Thanks,
Nick