Re: [RFC patch 3/5] ftrace trace event add missing semicolumn

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Wed Jan 05 2011 - 18:57:24 EST

On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 00:40 +0100, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 02:56:12PM -0500, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > * Frederic Weisbecker (fweisbec@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Looks good!
> > >
> > > I might be missing corner things but it seems this would reduce the code
> > > footprint (one function less) and turn more rw into ro datas.
> > >
> > > So it seems to be a very valuable reason to change the semicolon requirement
> > > all over the place.
> > >
> > > If you come up with this feature along the massive semicolon requirement
> > > change, we will probably happily apply the whole.
> > >
> > > But coming with only the semicolon change is more like an empty shell.
> >
> > My proposal here is to incrementally improve the tracing code, starting by
> > cleaning up what is already there. I cannot do this if you keep asking me for
> > larger changes to both Ftrace and Perf before any of the prerequisite cleanups
> > can make their way in.
> >
> > In this thread, I demonstrated that the TRACE_EVENT cleanup I proposed opens a
> > lot of code/data size reduction cleanups for Ftrace and Perf. But let's get the
> > cleanup in there first (it does not break the current way Ftrace and Perf are
> > working), and once all the code-base has moved to the semicolumn-less semantic,
> > then we can start improving Ftrace and Perf.
>
> Don't be suprised of my reaction. The way the things were presented was:
>
> 1) A patch with an meaningless changelog, absolutely no idea why that new
> semicolon is useful for.

Exactly... From the original change log:

"Add a missing semicolumn at the end of a ftrace definition.

We currently are not seeing any impact of this missing semicolumn because extra
semicolumns appear all over the place in the code generated from TRACE_EVENT
within ftrace stages."

Basically you state: We add this semicolon because ftrace already pushes
out lots of semicolons, so why not add more.

This is a totally useless changelog, and worthy of a nak because it has
no basis.

Yes, if there is a reason for doing this then state it.

> > As we say in French, "il ne faut pas mettre la charrue devant les boeufs"
> > (roughly: don't put the cart before the horse)
>
> As we say in French, "oui mais il a fallu te tirer les vers du nez"
> (roughly: right, but still I had to worm it out of you)

As we say in English: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

(roughly: Si ce n'est pas cassé, ne le correctif)

-- Steve