Re: [cpuops cmpxchg double V1 1/4] Generic support forthis_cpu_cmpxchg_double

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Mon Jan 03 2011 - 17:43:39 EST

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010, Tejun Heo wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 05:55:22PM -0600, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Dec 2010, Tejun Heo wrote:
> >
> > > ABI. But that said, it might still be problematic on other
> > > architectures when we try to apply it to different architectures. Is
> > > everyone against just taking a scalar for the first variable instead
> > > of taking a pointer? I'd be happier with that than the current one.
> >
> > How about replacing that with two scalars? Macro will check that the
> > scalaers are properly aligned and that the second follows the first. Then
> > there is also better symmetry in the parameters.
> >
> > bool this_cpu_cmpxchg_double(
> > percpu_1, percpu_2
> > old_1, old_2
> > new_1, new_2
> > )
>
> Yeah, maybe. The interface is a bit redundant but probably the most
> fool proof. I'm okay with either taking a single scalar or both.

The single large 128 bit scalar does not work. Having to define an
additional structure it also a bit clumsy. I think its best to get another
patchset out that also duplicates the first parameter and makes the percpu
variable specs conform to the other this_cpu ops.

Still on vacation so it may take to the end of the week for me to get this
done.