Re: [patch 1/8] init: rename CONFIG_EMBEDDED to CONFIG_EXPERT

From: David Rientjes
Date: Mon Jan 03 2011 - 16:56:43 EST

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > Ok, so there are a few pending EMBEDDED dependency additions in linux-next
> > as of next-20101230, which should be a pretty good indicator of what type
> > of conflict we might risk during the merge window.
> >
> > - three new defconfig files:
> >
> > 89ba4d12: arch/arm/configs/ag5evm_defconfig
> > 6cfce27c: arch/arm/configs/omap1_defconfig
> > d58f0967: arch/blackfin/configs/BF561-EZKIT-SMP_defconfig
> >
> > - 3ce05168 (drm/kms: load fbcon from drm_kms_helper)
> >
> > - b595076a (tree-wide: fix comment/printk typos)
> >
> > Instead of CONFIG_EXPERT select CONFIG_EMBEDDED, we could add a ninth
> > patch which does CONFIG_EMBEDDED select CONFIG_EXPERT and tag it in some
> > way so we know it's only temporary for the merge window to find new
> > CONFIG_EMBEDDED entries.
> >
> > Andrew, this would be going through your -mm tree anyway, so how would you
> > prefer to merge it?
>
> um, one big patch shortly after -rc1 is released?

Sounds good, I'll send you a big patch immediately following 2.6.38-rc1
and add a "config EMBEDDED" that will simply do a "select EXPERT" so it's
easy to use oldconfig.

It's debatable whether CONFIG_EMBEDDED would actually make sense, and I
think it does: for example, I think it would be helpful to identify kernel
options that really only make sense on embedded devices such as device
drivers, CONFIG_PRINTK, CONFIG_SLOB, etc.