Re: [RFC] persistent store (version 3) (part 1 of 2)

From: Tony Luck
Date: Tue Dec 14 2010 - 18:15:09 EST

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Marco Stornelli
<marco.stornelli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yeah, maybe it wasn't really ready for mainline :) However the idea
> behind it, it was the same more or less, to have a piece of memory to
> write some persistent information.

I dug back into old linux-next trees and found the code in the
November editions.

You are right - this does look very similar to what I have done. I
think my code
may be more adaptable to other platforms as I tried hard to separate out the
generic part that implements the file system view from the platform driver
that peeks and pokes at the hardware to access the persistent memory.
It is also accessible to user space without any custom tools.

The dream/pmem.c code might do a better job at handling larger amounts
of persistent memory than my code, but it looks like it needs some special
user tools that use the ioctl(... PMEM_*, ...) operations to set things up.

-Tony