Re: rcu-walk and dcache scaling tree update and status

From: Ed Tomlinson
Date: Sun Dec 12 2010 - 22:00:25 EST

On Sunday 12 December 2010 21:37:33 Nick Piggin wrote:
> The vfs-scale branch has had some progress, but it is now requiring
> wider testing and detailed review, particularly of the fine details of
> dcache_lock lifting, and rcu-walk synchronisation details and
> documentation.
>
> Linus has suggested pretty strongly that he wants to pull this in the
> next merge window (recently, that "inodes will be RCU freed in 2.6.38"
> in an urelated discussion). As far as I know, that's what he's going to
> do. I'd like to get this some time in linux-next to improve test
> coverage (many filesystems I can't even test, so there are bound to be a
> few silly crashes). Stephen, how do I arrange that?
>
> From my point of view, it has had nowhere near enough review,
> particularly I want Al to be happy with it, filesystem changes looked at
> and tested by respective fs maintainers, and anybody who is good at
> concurrency. However, if Linus still wants to merge it to kick things
> along, I am not going to stop him this time, because I have no known
> bugs or pending changes required.
>
> I, like everybody else, would prefer bugs or design flaws to be found
> *before* it goes upstream, of course. I would be happy to spend time on
> irc with reviewers (ask me offline). And if anybody has reasonable
> concerns or suggestions, I will be happy to take that into account. I
> will not flame anybody who reads my replies, even if it takes a while
> for one or both of us to understand.
>
> Documentation/filesystems/path-lookup.txt is a good place to start
> reviewing the fun stuff. I would much appreciate review of documentation
> and comments too, if anything is not clear, omitted, or not matching the
> code.
>
> Also, please keep an eye on the end result when reviewing patches.
> Particularly the locking patches before dcache_lock is lifted, these are
> supposed to provide a lock coverage to lift dcache_lock with minimal
> complexity. They are not supposed to be nice looking code that you'd
> want to run on your production box, they are supposed to be nice
> changesets (from a review and verification point of view).
>
> Git tree is here:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/npiggin/linux-npiggin.git
>
> Branch is:
>
> vfs-scale-working
>
> Changes since last posting:
> * Add a lot more comments for rcu-walk code and functions
> * Fix reported d_compare vfat crash
> * Incorporate review suggestions
> * Make rcu-walk bail out if we have to call a security subsystem
> * Fix for filesystems rewriting dentry name in-place
> * Audit d_seq barrier write-side, add a few places where it was missing
> * Optimised dentry memcmp
>
> Testing:
> Testing filesystems is difficult, particularly remote filesystems, and
> ones without mkfs packaged in debian. I'm running ltp and xfstests among
> others, but those cover a tiny portion of what you can do with the
> dcache. The more testing the merrier.

> [...]

I get this when building:

security/security.c: In function 'security_inode_exec_permission':
security/security.c:520: error: 'rcu' undeclared (first use in this function)
security/security.c:520: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
security/security.c:520: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [security/security.o] Error 1
make: *** [security] Error 2

Missing include maybe?

Ed