Re: [RFC]block: change sort order of elv_dispatch_sort

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Wed Dec 08 2010 - 09:45:08 EST

On 2010-12-08 22:39, Shaohua Li wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 16:01 +0800, Jens Axboe wrote:

>>> No, have no data, that is why this is a RFC patch. Part reason is I
>>> don't know when we dispatch several requests to the list. Appears driver
>>> only takes one request one time. What kind of test do you suggest?
>>
>> Yes that is usually the case, it's mainly meant as a holding point for
>> dispatch, or for requeue, or for request that don't give sort ordering.
>> Or on io scheduler switches, for instance.
>
> Have a test in a hacked way. I use modified noop iosched, and every time
> when noop tries to dispatch request, it dispatches all requests in its
> list. Test does random read. The result is actually quite stable. The
> changed order always gives slightly better throughput, but the
> improvement is quite small (<1%)

First of all I think 1% is too close to call, unless your results are
REALLY stable. Secondly, a truly random workload is not a good test
case as requests are going to be all over the map anyway. For something
more realistic (like your example, but of course not fully contig) it
would be interesting to see.

>>> I'm curious why the sweeping back is faster. It definitely needs more
>>> spindle move. is there any hardware trick here?
>>
>> The idea is that while the initial seek is longer, due to drive prefetch
>> serving the latter half request series after the sweep is faster.
>>
>> I know that classic OS books mentions this is a good method, but I don't
>> think that has been the case for a long time.
>
> Hmm, if this is sequential I/O, then requests already merged. if not,
> how could drive know how to do prefetch.

Certainly, the requests are not going to look like in your example. I
didn't take those literally, I was assuming you just meant increasing
order on both sides. Once the drive has positioned the head, it is going
to read more than just the single sector in that request. They do do
read caching.

--
Jens Axboe