Re: Posted Write onto a PCI end point device using Linux

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Tue Dec 07 2010 - 20:47:19 EST

On 12/07/2010 05:29 AM, Sanka Piyaratna wrote:
Hi,

I am wondering whether it is possible to issue a posted write using the host
computer's root complex towards an PCI express end point. I have done this using

DMA in the past. However, if posted writes are possible that would save a lot of

time and effort and would be quicker too.

Writes from the CPU to PCI memory are always posted. However, the posted write buffer size is usually quite limited and so this probably will still cause CPU overhead when writing any significant amount of data this way.