Re: [dm-devel] hunt for 2.6.37 dm-crypt+ext4 corruption?

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sun Dec 05 2010 - 15:29:10 EST

> I've been using a kernel which is between 2.6.37-rc2 and -rc3 with a LUKS / dm-crypt / LVM / ext4 setup for my primary file systems, and I haven't observed any corruption for the last two weeks or so. It's on my todo list to upgrade to top of Linus's tree, but perhaps this is a useful data point.

The reported corruptions are with a .37 forward port someone did of my parallel
kcryptd patch. The 2.6.36 (and earlier) versions are rock solid with many users.

The classic dmcrypt is single threaded and very slow.

> As another thought, what version of GCC are people using who are having difficulty? Could this perhaps be a compiler-related issue?

A compiler problem seems very unlikely here.

What may be an useful experiment would be to test 2.6.37-rc + ext4 over
device mapper, but not dmcrypt. If that fails too then it's likely
some generic device mapper problem.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.