Re: edac_core: crashes on shutdown

From: Tobias Karnat
Date: Thu Dec 02 2010 - 17:34:25 EST

Am Donnerstag, den 02.12.2010, 19:37 +0100 schrieb Borislav Petkov:
> On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 01:05:01PM -0500, Tobias Karnat wrote:
> > Btw, are there any information available regarding the NMI option?
> >
> > parm: edac_op_state:EDAC Error Reporting state: 0=Poll,1=NMI (int)
> >
> > In edac.txt NMI is listed under FUTURE HARDWARE SCANNING.
>
> Well, looking at <arch/x86/kernel/traps.c:mem_parity_error()> this
> should already work. But it is kinda of a hack, if I'm reading Doug
> correctly: http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/9/21/144

This thread has many unknown abbreviations for me,

I thought as you wrote later, that this would be an option to use an
interrupt instead of polling for edac in general.

But as far as I understand this, it is used for PCI bus errors?

And should be replaced for detection of PCI SERR and/or PCIE AER,
are these the same as PCI bus errors?

> And yes, using some kind of an interrupt is much better than polling but
> I don't know whether there's a single interrupt source for the error
> types all edac drivers can decode and report. In the amd64_edac case,
> we're piggybacking on MCE, for example. This was actually the initial
> reason for 00740c58541b6087d78418cebca1fcb86dc6077d and dropping polling
> from that driver.

>From Intel Architectures Software Developer's Manual Part 3A:

"Starting with 45nm Intel 64 processor with CPUID signature
DisplayFamily_DisplayModel encoding of 06H_1AH (...), the processor can
report information on corrected machine-check errors and deliver a
programmable interrupt for software to respond to MC errors, referred to
as corrected machine-check error interrupt (CMCI)."

Seems to be unlikely for me on an Intel 975X Mainboard.

-Tobias