Re: Challenges with doing hardware bring up with Linux first

From: Alan Cox
Date: Sun Nov 21 2010 - 15:33:33 EST

> Right -- which is why ideally I think it'd be nice to have an open
> permissive stack people shared. My preference would be to just pick up

Which we know in practice they won't. They'll sit on fixes (often
security fixes) and tweak and add private copies of features. In turn the
Linux one could then only keep up by adding features itself - which would
have to be GPL to stop the same abuse continuing.

It's a nice idea but the corporations exist to make money and adding
proprietary custom stack add-ons is clearly a good move on their part to
do that.

Alan